What is a director identification number (DIN)?
The Australian Business Registry Services issues a DIN consisting of 15 digits and is a one-of-a-kind identity (ABRS). It never leaves the director’s possession again.
Verification of a director’s identification is necessary before they may submit an application for a DIN. However, even if they hold numerous director roles, a director only has to submit their application for a DIN once. Other positions, such as company secretary, are exempt from the identification requirement placed on directors.
When you need to apply for your DIN is governed by when you were appointed as a director for the first time. All directors who were appointed on or before 31 October 2021 have until November 30, 2022, to apply.
Directors who aspire to be appointed as of today must get their DIN before being appointed.
If you are unable to apply by the deadline, you may submit an application for an extension.
Due date to apply for director ID - Deadline for the application is on 30 November 2022.
PLEASE NOTE FAILURE TO REGISTER CAN FACE $13,320 fine for and $1,050,000 (Civil)
Please follow the steps below to apply for a DIN - if you could please send through the 15 digit number once applied so we can have this saved on our records, that would be great.
To apply online:
1. Go to the ABRS website to access the and learn about the Director ID requirements
3. Conduct a proof of record ownership by answering two questions about the individual's ATO record such as your "Notice of Assessment" (NOA. Follow this link for further information.
- The residential address corresponding to ATO documents
- Information from two of the following identity-verification documents:
- The BSB and account number of a bank account that has earned interest or received a tax refund in the preceding two years
- Details of a superannuation account (member account number and superfund’s ABN) to which contributions have been made during the preceding 12 months
- A notice of assessment (issue date and reference number) issued by the ATO during the preceding five years
- PAYG payment summary or Income Statement (gross income) issued throughout the last two years
- A Centrelink payment summary (taxable income) given during the previous two years
- A dividend declaration (investment reference number) issued during the preceding two years
4. Complete a Director ID application on the ABRS platform to receive the Director ID instantly.
5. Call 13 62 50 when you have all your details.
If you don't know your details contact your accountant for a copy of your Notice Of Assessment if you don't know your ABN details either contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1300 459 101.
Due to the fact that this is a check of your personal identification, we are unable to communicate with the ABRS on your behalf.
On the other hand, we can aid Directors by supplying them with information that we have access to. If you have any queries regarding the above information, please do not hesitate to contact us on 130 459 101.